Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coming Soon: Dancing in the Aisles

Yesterday was an anniversary of sorts. It's been one year since an orthopedic surgeon opened my left leg, removed the arthritis-damaged knee joint and put in a prosthetic. Now I can get around pretty well on my own, having advanced from walker to cane to independence. Walking is easier than standing, but Sunday I stood for half an hour to give a lesson. Shopping isn't that bad, and neither is walking through parking lots or the halls at church. On February 17 it's the first anniversary of the right knee, which turned out to be the more difficult of the two surgeries. I still haven't gotten used to being aware of the prosthetics. They are heavier than the bones they replaced, and I can still feel them. I still walk "older" than I am, but I'm so much better than I was a year ago. Continued exercise (all rehab all the time) will change that over time. I found out about a therapy pool near the hospital that's available to us for a slight membership fee, so we're going to check that out.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

My goodness, that's right. A year ago. And what a year, too. I have definitely been able to see a lot of improvement, and I'm so happy for you. Looking forward to the "Dancing in the Aisles" era!