Thursday, January 20, 2011

Counting My Blessings Again

It's been two years for me and Barack. He only got sworn in as President of the United States. But I got my life back.

Two years ago today I had my left knee replacement surgery. I'm doing much better with simple things like walking, but not so much with more complicated things like kneeling. These days I sit to say my prayers, but mentally I'm kneeling. I'm not doing 5K races and I'm not sprinting all over big box stores like a teenager, but I am out there and into life. My second surgery was February 17, meaning the left one had to be the "good" leg I could depend on. It sort of worked that way.

Now I note the milestones – doing stairs, shopping without riding the motorized cart, even just standing around talking is progress. I'll never take for granted the ability to walk without pain.

I'm so grateful for modern medicine. And plastic and steel and the way the human body adapts. I've catalogued my experience here before so I won't repeat it, but today I'm thinking about where I might be if I hadn't done it - in a wheelchair.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

YES!!!!!!! HOORAY!!!!!!!!! I go many months without seeing you, as you know, and so it is VERY noticeable to me--how much you improve each time. It's amazing. And miraculous! (Thank you, Heather!!) :)

Pam Williams said...

Yeah, this is all Heather's fault... One more reason why I think we'll keep her

Rachel said...

So happy for you to celebrate this kind of anniversary! It's nice to know things are improving everyday.

Amy said...

I'm so glad that you're doing so much better! I can relate--after not being able to walk for 6 weeks after ankle surgery (and barely walking for 6 weeks before the surgery) I am SO grateful for simple things like mobility! It really puts things into perspective. Yay you!

Mary said...

I'm glad you're not in a wheelchair too, because that would make it really difficult to tour historic homes and art museums. :)

Unknown said...

We're grateful you can do those things too!